Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Homemade Protein Bars


When I was pregnant with Caitlyn I LIVED on these bars. I was working out a lot and burning a lot of calories, and my body just craved them. I still enjoy one almost every afternoon for a little pick-me-up. My husband likes to eat one with a banana for a post-workout breakfast. My 3-year-old, Josiah, enjoys one crumbled with rice chex for breakfast. A great way to get a child to eat protein...yummy too:-)

1 cup dates, chopped (or dried fruit of your choice)
¾ cup orange juice (or juice of your choice)
½ cup honey
½ cup coconut oil (can use olive oil)
¾ cup peanut butter
3 cups protein powder (I like chocolate-peanut-butter)
1 ½ cups oatmeal
1 cup nuts (I crush mine for a smoother consistency)
1 ½ cups chocolate chips
2 cups raw, unsweetened coconut
½ cup ground flaxseed

• Grease two 9x13 pans
• Simmer dates and juice until combined
• Add honey, oil and pb and incorporate into a warm syrup
• Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl
• Pour warm liquid over dry ingredients and mix until combined (you will need to use your hands)
• Press into pans and store in fridge

1 comment:

  1. Hey Girlie..can you get coconut oil just at any grocery store? Also...where do you get your protein powder...is there a brand you specifically like?

    ReplyDelete