Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Bean and Lentil Soup


I bought a bag of lentils a few months ago and had every good intention of using them…but I have been a little nervous because I have never cooked them before. I found this recipe and adapted it from the Prevention Magazine. I figured it was now or never. This soup is DELICIOUS! Josiah, my 3-year-old, would not touch it (of course), but Caitlyn (my 10-month-old) and I enjoyed every bite!

1 small onion, diced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
4 cups water
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
1 15-oz can great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
4 oz shredded cheese (I use a sharp cheddar, but you can use any kind)
1 tsp freeze-dried chives

1. Sauté onion in olive oil until golden. Add chili powder and salt.
2. Add lentils and water, bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and simmer additional 5 minutes.
3. Stir in cheese and herbs and allow to simmer about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment